(I know many of you are still unsure as to what exactly I will be doing for my 2 years of service, I promise to write a more detailed description of what service will look like… I’m still trying to grasp it as well, but I will say that it is sounding beautiful yet challenging)
Today (6/21) we went to the city of Lima, which was a 1.5 hour ride in a combi (I will post a picture of one of these soon). We went with our language instructors to both practice Spanish and get more familiar with the city, since we will be taking many trips there during service (the PC center, and medical center is located here). It was a nice day… with a ridiculous amount of walking. Amazed at our first sight of American food such as McDonalds, BK, Starbucks, KFC, most volunteers rushed for their first taste of familiar food in weeks. I went with about 7 other volunteers for a gigantic personal pan pizza from PizzaHut! I was craving it all week. – here’s a quick funny story - We were given 5 soles (Peruvian currency) to figure out how to get home on our own (training purposes… I think). My friends Sal, Patty and I took a combi home… we stood crushed for the first 20 minutes of the ride, but thankfully, found a seat…we rested our legs and looked forward to riding home on our bums… about 15 minutes later, our combi cut someone off (which usually happens every 2 minutes or so) but this time, our driver was caught. His license was taken away from him, and we had to switch combis… We hopped on a different and had to ‘intimately stand’ for another 45 minutes till we arrived at home. It was hilarious, but be glad you weren’t there.
Guitar…
I know it would probably fit my character to spend a whole blog page about me buying a guitar, but I feel like keeping it simple. I bought a guitar about a week ago! It’s a nylon string classical guitar of pretty decent quality. Though I haven’t had the most time to pluck the ol’ strings, it has definitely helped me feel more at home.
Field Based Training…
In about 4 weeks, the Small Business Development group will be taking a weeklong trip to Cajamarca (16 hours north of Lima) to partake in Field Based Training, where we will be divided into groups and assigned to classes of business students. We will spend the week with them, teaching them different business and development related things… in strictly SPANISH! I heard that our bus is lux-u-rious, and we will be staying in a hotel with hot water!
Other things…
+I’ve experienced 2 minor earthquakes since I’ve been here. One was the first morning, during our retreat in Chaclacayo. The other was about 4 nights ago around 4 a.m. it woke me up, but I felt completely safe in my shack.
+It’s not uncommon for me to leave a bit of food on my plate at dinner, portions are pretty monstrous… the other night I was served crispy fried chicken on top of French fries and cut up hot dogs… with ketchup, mayonnaise and hot sauce sprinkled about… I slammed the meal in my stomach and smiled BIG at my family. They were surprised at my freshly polished plate, they knew I liked it, I am sure of this because I received the exact same thing the following night…haha. (this is a picture of a plate very similar to what theyve been serving me)
+ It seems many of the volunteers have rediscovered a deep, fiery passion for candy/ice cream/ sweets… it suddenly hit us all the same time a few days ago, all at once. We found ourselves rushing towards the shops on the way home. It’s been a real comfort, I mean it… I love candy.
+ I’ll end with some good news, which will better describe the title of this blog… my stomach is basically in tip-top shape! As some of you know, my sickness from last week went away with medicine, but quickly returned on Sunday morning. It was father’s day; I had a fever of 102 and no father… eeek. Since then my body has repaired itself without the help of medicine! I once again have confidence in my body’s abilities! We’ll see how long this lasts… but for now… solid
Much love to you all,
James
p.s. has anyone been to Peru before or South/Central America? if so, where? Any experiences you can relate to so far? I might need some people to sympathize with me some day…

4 comments:
I knew you wouldn't last long without a guitar. Glad to hear things are going well!
amazing. i enjoyed the story about your trip to lima with the combis and the pizza hut. classic. and i'm waiting on new songs in spanish from you con la guitarra nueva... those should be great. exciting!
James! Have to get a guitar in every foreign stop? haha I wish I had time to play, but I'm in the midst of a highly intensive program right now :(
Hope all's well with you, be safe!
-Tom
Hey Bro! I really enjoyed your last blog posting! It was funny! You have some awesome stories so far. When I read the part about your new guitar and saw the picture it brought some tears to my eyes :( I miss sitting with and listening to you strum away! I'm so glad you are feeling good now. I am so excited for you! I love you and miss you soooooo much!
Love,
Your sis!
Post a Comment