Friday, October 3, 2008

After a few weeks

Hey everyone...

I hope this entry finds you all well.

It's been nearly 5 weeks since I've arrived to my final site in Cajamarca, where I'll be the duration of the two years. The Peace Corps wasn't lying when they said the transition to our new sites isn't and easy one. I've definitely had my share of difficult days... days in which my mind has ceased to function in Spanish, and days where I've felt I can't express a word of my thoughts and feelings... I've also battled the common thoughts of feeling useless in site - not really sure of purpose/ability to be a successful volunteer...

...but the whole 5 weeks have not been a complete downer - I expected these difficulties, and saw them coming... I guess I just realized that theres really no way to prepare for them, all you can do is endure... so thats what I've been doing--- being patient... patient with myself, my spanish, my abilities, my site, my future projects.

I wish I could give a clear description of what a solid day is like in site - but at this point, that seems impossible... the only real constant is a my 4 year old brother knocking on my door at 7:45 every morning
yelling "Jaymeez !!! A DESAYUNAR (james its time to eat some dang good breakfast)"


his names Frank, and his youthfull/joyfull voice is hilarious to wake up to every morning

I've been hangin out quite a bit with my ceramicists... I've found them to be most like my "family" in site. I've had quite a few opportunities to work side by side with the Pops, who's also the president of the association. Slowly, but surely, I'm learning more about the association and how it functions. The family is reeeediculously artistic. I'm amazed at the pictures/sculptures that the kids can produce. They're also amazing Spanish teachers for me... always correcting me when I make my many mistakes.

I've been eating like a king. No joke. I'm positive that I live with the best cook in my town.


Word quickly spread around my town of 1000 people that I play the guitar. I sat down and played for a group of teachers while they were "passing the vaso" and the next day - it seemed the whole town was either asking me to play for them, or looking at me-playing the air guitar-and shaking their head in a way that suggests they want me to play for them. haha, non the less, ive been playing quite a bit of guitar... and spending alot of time teaching some youth around my site. Its crazy, theirs a surplus of broke down/old/untuned/sometimes stringless guitars in my site, but no one that plays well. It looks like I'll be doing alot more teaching than I thought.

It's really cool to have two volunteers fairly nearby. Every once in a while, we get the chance to get together, relax, speak English, and share experiences. One of the first weeks in site we even got the chance to take a RUUUUGGED 7 hour hike to a gigantic rock called Piedra Caballera - we brought and ate lentil burgers under the massive piece of earth...I've got a balcony-look!
In wrap up --- I'm doing well. Patience is one of the most important things I've been learning thus far (as well as the use of the verb Haber) Day by day I'm learning more about how my community functions, and slowly but surely realizing that I can be a big help for my town. Relationships are building and friendships are surfacing. More hard days are sure to come, but with each day comes more experience that will build character and strength needed in the next two years. I am most definitely integrating into the community and culture.. the next two pictures prove it -
these are Yanks - farmers wear these to work in their chacras - each pair lasts nearly 87 years



these are what all the cool kids wear while playing soccer on the small concrete courts
shoes don't come much more stylish

Theres so much more I wish I could fill you all in about my site - what I can't describe perfectly in words, pictures will do. I'm posting a new album as we speak, check out that link on the left side of the page. I'll be better about blogging from now on. I miss you all and appreciate all the support and prayers. Email me and let me know whats goin on in your life! I'm interested!
Much love -
James

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

James-
we've been following your blog, love the information about Peru! What an incredible journey God is taking you on! Be encouraged, brother, that you are an inspiration to many... those reading about your life and those in Peru that you are touching. God bless!
The Gans family

Tim said...

Thanks for keeping us updated, James. We think of you often. Glad you have those rough days in perspective. God's grace be with you!
Love,
Jesse, Tim, Olivia and Benjamin

MrsB said...

Diggin' the shoes! Your days are filled with God's graces. You are the strength that these folks need. Don't ever give up! Miss you lots and we love you!
Bartos Bunch

Bookja Becky said...

Loved your most recent blog! So interesting! It's so wonderful to hear your stories and hear that you are doing well! It sounds like you are starting to build some great friendships with the people in the community! And that's awesome they all like your music so much! I'm excited for you James, and I'm excited for the opportunities that will continue to come your way. I know that God has you in His hands!
I Love you Bro!
Love,
Becky

p.s. the shoes rock!